Your loyal support has enabled us to start and complete several critical projects and programmes in 2013
- The upgraded Medical Ward B2 opened earlier this year and is now able to provide advanced specialist care to some of the Hospital’s youngest and sickest patients in a world-class facility.
- The newly-built Centre for Childhood Infectious Diseases and the Research Centre for Adolescent & Child Health opened in October, and is the first paediatric clinical research centre in a children’s hospital in South Africa. The Centre will make a significant difference in the lives of young patients with infectious diseases through the advanced treatment offered and groundbreaking research conducted into childhood illnesses.
- The Paediatric Ward at Victoria Hospital was upgraded and is now a modernised child-friendly space that is able to accommodate parents at their children’s bedsides at a time when they are needed most.
- The first year of the Paediatric Palliative Care Service at the Sarah Fox Convalescent Children’s Hospital was funded, providing multidisciplinary paediatric pain and palliative care for children with life-threatening illnesses. The service has been developed to provide longer-term care to 65 children and their families a year.
- Building commenced on the new Woolworths Childsafe Research and Educational Centre, where patients’ families and the general public will be educated on creating safe environments for their children to decrease the number of avoidable serious child related accidents.
- Construction of the new Radiology Complex commenced with the funds required to build and equip this facility raised in partnership with the Western Cape Government: Health. The specialist facility will provide the ideal environment for medical teams to make accurate diagnoses on critically ill or injured children whose prognoses depend on receiving the right treatment fast.
- The successful completion of the 3-year African Paediatric Fellowship Programme, as well as the 6-year Child Nurse Practice Development Initiative, which enabled 22 doctors and 131 nurses from around SA and Africa to be trained in paediatric specialties at the Hospital.
- The launch of the AfriTox Poisons Information System, a computerised online database of information and treatment advice to help doctors in Southern Africa better diagnose and treat poisonings in children.
- The launch of the Paediatric Rehabilitation Programme at St Joseph’s for Chronically Ill Children, which provides better rehabilitation service for their patients, while empowering and involving parents in their child’s rehabilitation.
Thank you for your generosity and belief in our mission to support the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital and paediatric healthcare in the Western Cape – we could not have accomplished all of this without your support.
Although we have achieved so much, there is still so much to be done – our need is far greater than our success, and we hope you will continue to partner with us on future projects.