The Children’s Hospital Trust is the fundraiser for the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital and Paediatric Healthcare in the Western Cape. The Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital is the largest, stand-alone tertiary hospital in sub-Saharan Africa, dedicated entirely to children. Since its inception in 1994, the Children’s Hospital Trust has supported the Hospital through upgrading its buildings, purchasing vital equipment and funding critical training and research programmes. 100% of donations received go directly towards prioritised projects and programmes and it is the consistent, ongoing support of donors that has resulted in the Trust’s success to date.
The Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital has a holistic approach to healing and this is where the Friends of the Children’s Hospital Association (FOCHA) steps in.
This non-profit organisation has a number of activities you can volunteer for at the Hospital.
Here’s how you can help on Mandela Day:
- Make sandwiches for parents of patients for lunch (volunteers are encouraged to bring the bread, butter and fillings to add to what has already been donated)
- Bring soup and bread or an easy meal to hand out to parents in the evening who have been waiting all day at the Emergency Centre
- Pack food parcels and toiletry packs for the discharged patients to take home with them
- Toiletry packs for Men/Women include: Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Face soap, Face cloth, Deodorant (preferably shield), Sanitary towels, Body lotion
- Food Parcels include: 1kg Mealimeal, 1kg Rice, 1kg Sugar, 1kg Cake flour, 1kg Samp, 1kg Beans, 750ml Mix a drink, 750ml Cooking oil, Spaghetti, Teabags, Peanut butter, Tin fish, Tin baked beans, Yeast
- Spend time interacting with the patients – reading/playing games/building puzzles (please bring toys as a donation)
- Paint the dining room at the Hospital’s crèche
- Re-plant grass areas at the Hospital’s crèche
FOCHA will take volunteers anytime from 9am – 7pm on Thursday, 18 July. Please contact the Trust on 021 686 7860 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more or to confirm your timing for this special opportunity.
If you don’t have the time to volunteer to make a change, then why not send us some change? You can make a difference by donating R67, R670 or even R6700! Click here to donate.
For more information on Mandela Day visit www.mandeladay.com